1100 NW 95th St
Miami, FL 33150
Weight loss surgery is generally designed for those with a body mass index (BMI) equal to or greater than 40, or equal to or greater than 35 with serious co-morbidities. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding is also FDA-approved for weight loss surgery in people with a BMI of 30 to 35 who have at least one obesity-related condition. Weight loss surgery is considered safe, but like many types of surgery, it does have risks. Consult with your physician about the risks and benefits of weight loss surgery.
Benefits of Weight Loss Surgery
Our comprehensive approach to weight loss can help you achieve your weight loss goals and help you live a healthier life. Health conditions that may resolve or improve with weight loss surgery include:
- High blood pressure
- Sleep apnea
- Joint pain
- Fatty liver
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss (Bariatric) Surgery?
Qualifications for weight loss surgery include:
- Your BMI is 40 or higher.
- Your BMI is 35 or higher and you also suffer from one or more health problems such as type II diabetes or hypertension.
- Your BMI is between 30 and 35 and you also have significant weight induced comorbidities.
- You have been overweight for more than 5 years.
- Your serious attempts to lose weight have had only short-term success.
- You do not have any other disease that may have caused your obesity.
- You are prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
Weight loss and health benefits vary from patient-to-patient. Consult with your physician about the benefits and risks of weight loss surgery.